Here's a great gift idea - and you just might have the main 'ingredient' in your recycle bin right now! Shrink Plastic is so much fun to work with - it shrinks 60% and to the thickness of a nickel!
What You'll Need
Oven or toaster oven
Aleene’s® Original Tacky Glue™
Tape for checkerboard
Acrylic paint to paint frame
Masking tape for checkerboard frame
*Aleene’s® Shrink-It™ is available through www.Amazon.com
1. Paint frame desired color. If you want the checkerboard look, use tape to divide off sections before you paint.
2. Cut various sizes and shapes from shrink plastic.
3. Pre-heat oven to 275-300 degrees. Lightly sprinkle baking sheet with baby powder. Place shrink plastic pieces on baking sheet. Place in oven for a few minutes until they flatten. Remove from oven and let cool.
4. Use permanent markers to color shapes.
5. Glue and layer plastic pieces to frame.
6. Add squiggles, dots and personalize with 3D paint. Let dry.
Make It Yours!
Paint frame in the person's favorite color (school colors make a great checkerboard frame!), add shrink plastic pieces that fit the person - megaphones and mascots for a cheerleader, airplanes for the plane enthusiast - check out rubber stamps too! The checkerboard is perfect for a checkers enthusiast by adding shrink plastic checkers and how about for the NASCAR or racing person? Make cars from shrink plastic to race around the frame.
Let them make their own custom picture mat - Include the mat, some decorative scrapbook paper and a can of Aleene's® Crystal Clear Tacky Spray™.
Use the same idea on a wooden or paper mache box to store treasures.
Wrap It Up!
Add a bow and actually place it on the wall. It's a decorative touch to the room and a gift all in one!