Commemorate the last space shuttle launch with a cake that's sure to blast off into history!
Space Shuttle Astronaut Cake
What You Need
- Shrink plastic* or recycle clear plastic containers from the grocery store (look for #6 on the bottom of the container)
- Baking sheet
- Baby powder
- Oven or toaster oven
- Hot pad
- Permanent pens
- Aleene’s® Jewel-It™ glue
- Brown cake with mound of white frosting (see photo)
Creating with Shrink Plastic
Welcome to the fun and exciting world of shrink plastic! Shrink plastic starts out thin and when heated in a household oven, shrinks about 60% to the thickness of a nickel. Available in clear which starts clear and remains clear when shrunk or opake which starts translucent and shrinks to a pearl-white finish.
To Make Astronaut Shrink Plastic Decorations
- Place patterns under shrink plastic. Trace using permanent pen.
- Cut out using household scissors.
- Preheat oven to 275-300 degrees. Lightly sprinkle baking sheet with baby powder and place plastic pieces on baking sheet. Place in oven. When flat, remove from oven with hot pad and let cool.
- Color pieces using photo as a guide. Let dry.
- Write name on cloud using permanent marker.
- Glue shuttle support stick to back of shuttle, astronaut support sticks to back of astronauts and glue cloud to back of astronaut’s hands. Let dry.
- Insert all pieces into cake.
|Enlarge patterns to fit on 8-1/2 x 11 paper - trace one astronaut and flip pattern over and trace one more. Trace three support sticks.|
Directions to make the Happy Birthday Susie cake are available at http://stores.lulu.com/craftproductsatyahoodotcom