Thursday, February 27, 2014

What to do with an Old Quilt

Project Save Great Grandma's Quilt - The Finish

 Drum roll, please...
I started this project a couple of weeks ago as a special birthday gift for my mom.  It started as a very tattered quilt that her grandmother gave her back in the 50's or 60's.  It's been in my parent's closet since it isn't usable and every once in a while we pull it out and say we should do something with it.  We (my sister, mom and I) made large flower pin cushions (see below) for thirteen cousins recently but my mom wanted a larger piece.  She found an old mirror frame out in a shed and decided she wanted a memory board made using the quilt. Since her birthday was coming up, I offered to make it for her.  Life got in the way but I finished it today - I'm going 'home' tomorrow for a big family celebration - three family birthday's!
I LOVE this!  It turned out better than I expected!  I made rolled roses from strips of the quilt and dyed some of the quilt backing for the leaves.  The rolled roses are placed to cover up the big holes and one on the frame to cover up a big ding.  Almost forgot, I covered the buttons with the quilt fabric too!


Rolled roses hid the holes

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this idea! And your quilt is so bright and pretty! Thank you for sharing!