Friday, January 12, 2007




A week filled with huge waves of emotion...


Hello, my friends,

This has been one of those weeks with extreme highs and extreme lows.

We're celebrating my dad's 80th birthday tomorrow and here he was at Christmas riding my nephew's new quad. My dad has always been the adventurous person - as kids we watched him waterski, hang glide (the hang glider is still in the building out back of their house), race across the dunes at Pismo Beach with our dune buggy, pilot his own plane - I'm sure there's lots more, but my brain is a bit foggy from this week's events. We are having a few close friends and family for a little party tomorrow. The shocker for me (and a lot of my other family members) is that my dad requested a Marilyn Monroe impersonator. My dad is a very reserved person and this is just so out of character for him. I'm charging my camera batteries right now to get some good photos.

The high point of my week was having Cheryl Ball bring me her copy of Craft and Needlework Age (a craft trade magazine) and show me the ad where I'm featured as one of the six Celebrity Designers! Our big trade show is coming up January 28-31 and I can't wait! I'm finishing up plans to get together with my old Aleene's friends Lauren Johnston and Pattie Donham. I saw Lauren just last month, but I haven't seen Pattie since our trip to Hawaii in October of 2005. I can't wait for the huge hugs and all the laughs we'll have!!!!

Another fun part of my week was making final plans for my make-it and take-it at the show - the attendees will get to make Bra Purses! I'm so excited!!! The bras will be in next week, so I'll be busy making the purses and will share them with you.

I had a challenge this week with my photo for the winery gallery exhibit next month. I paid $15 for the enlargement and then went to a local store for a quote for matting and framing. To my shock the estimate was $423!!! Having never had "artwork" in a show before I don't know what is expected. Once the shock wore off, I starting looking at options and got quite freaked out that I didn't know what to do. The thought occurred to me that since my photo was of some old rusty barbed wire, that perhaps I should consider an antique frame. The first antique store I went into had the perfect frame - it was actually a framed mirror. I'll remove the mirror and have a mat made to fit and I'm done.

I talked with a new friend about crafting and being creative. We talked about painting and how he wanted to try, but was fearful. After spending my last vacation painting without rules, I suggested he try getting some paint, paper and brushes and just start by picking a brush and then picking a color that called to him. I think I'll buy him some supplies and surprise him. I have a big bisque ceramic teacup that my friend Frances gave me - I have been contemplating painting it in this style with bright colors and outlining it in black.

It was a very sad day at work today. My co-worker and friend found out that she has a brain tumor. She's the mother of 3 wonderful children all under the age of 5 with the youngest under 4 months old. I have never been so close to someone who has had something like this. I was so impressed with everyone in our building - their comfort, their concern - the tears did not stop all day and now they are flowing just as hard as they did this morning when she told us. I have always admired my friend because of her awesome work and now I respect her even more as she faces the uncertainty.

I have to admit that I had a melt down yesterday that made me question a lot of things. I offered my boss a patio heater I had at my storage unit. When I got to the unit, I looked around at the 10 x 20 foot space - it made me sit down, right there amongst my life's possessions and question what I was doing with my life. This is something that won't be solved today, but gives me reason to pause and really search deep inside. Once again, I am amazed at the people who are in my life and how giving and caring they are. Frances and I had a very long talk today - she gives me great advice and comfort, but always throws the saying back at me that I said to her about a year and a half ago - If not now, when? It was a changing point in her life and this saying had a lot to do with it - As a wedding present, I gave Frances and Rudy an engraved rock that said those words. Frances told me today that she looks at the rock every day as she leaves for work. I am so fortune to have such good friends.

So, I have once again learned many life lessons this week - it has been hard, but I know deep down in my heart that I am becoming the person I am supposed to be because of these events. It will make me stronger...

Pictures of Marilyn up soon!!!

Joan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my....