Thursday, December 10, 2009

Aleene's Creative Living Magazine Pot


This story starts ten years ago this month. I was the Editor of Aleene's Creative Living Magazine and the team that got the magazine out every month was AMAZING!!! So very talented and so very caring - we published a magazine that I am so proud of!!!

Just before Christmas in 1999, Erin, who was a graphic artist, gave us each a wonderful gift. A ficus tree in a pot she'd painted herself. I remember the day she gave me the gift - she said something like "I wonder how this paint technique will hold up." - she'd tried something different - I think it was milk painting.

We all went our separate ways soon after that Christmas and I lost track of Erin, but thought of her often. Years and years went by and I would admire my ficus and the hand-painted pot wondering what happened to Erin. Well, thanks to Facebook (if you're not on FB, it's a fabulous way to find people - I've found classmates I haven't seen in over 30 years, old co-workers and relatives!!!) Erin and I found each other this year - ten years later! I was finally able to show her the pot and the tree she so lovingly planted for me ten years ago when Erin visited me this year and it was wonderful to catch up on where life had taken us.

In honor of the 10th anniversary, I repotted the ficus - I can't wait to see how he grows and how Erin and I grow too in the next ten years. Thank you, my friend, for your gift that still makes me smile after 10 years!!! You're the best!

The lesson here is for all of us creative types to put love into every project that you make because we never know how it will touch someones heart, ten years or more later!


Mr. Ficus in his new pot!!!

No comments: